Math Placement Information for UA Advisors
Math Placement Handouts and General Information for Advisors, 2017-2018
Math 100 | Math 107 |Placement Chart | Calc Courses/Prerequisites | Math Flow Chart | Arizona Math Transfer Chart| Placement General| Business Card | Testing FAQs | Testing, Retesting, Review | Find Test Scores | S4S | TES | Online Transfer Eval Form | RDs | Other
Please direct students questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Math 100AX, 100 Information. These are 15 week courses starting Fall 2016.
- Placement chart - changes to Prep for Calc scores for Math 100AX, 100, 109C, 112. Remove Math 111+112 as prerequisite to Math 122A/B. Students to place into Math 112 should take Math 120R next, then Math 122A/B.
- Information about some courses below the level of Calculus I- blue orientation handout
- Information about Calculus courses- pink orientation handout
- Math Flow Chart for first and second year courses
- Arizona Math Course Equivalency Chart - Does not include Grand Canyon University, Embry Riddle, Arizona Christian University
- Note that Pima CC is no longer offering PreCalculus (UA MATH 120R or Pima MAT 187). Instead, Pima Students will take MAT 188+189. MAT 188 transfers as UA Math 112. MAT 189 transfers as UA Math 111.
- Contact info business card to give to students you see in person.
- Math Placement Information
- Current Students
- Incoming students: go to the Next Steps Center and see information in links below
- Quick Guide to Placement by College provided to incoming freshmen at orientation
- Testing Information- the placement test is for entry into courses at or below the level of Math 122A and 125. Test scores are good for one year.
- Current students must take proctored test through the UA Testing Office or Examity. More information coming soon.
- Incoming freshmen first test through Next Steps (one try at one test). Can retest. See math advisor if you have tr credit.
- To access the test through the Next Steps Center, Enrollment deposit must be marked as paid in Next Steps and student must be registered for orientation. Includes International freshman students.
- Transfer, readmits, NDS, etc. must determine if test is required (recent and appropriate prerequisite, or test, unless done).
- Test is not required. Students may need to refresh check list in Next Steps for this portion to update.
- Retesting- this means take a second test as an incoming student or test as a current student. Retesting is through the UA Testing Office or using an online proctoring service, Examity (summer only).
- Students should review
- How do you find Math Placement test scores?
- Test scores are now on the Transfer Credit Report in UAccess Student.
- Test scores are posted in Uaccess under Records and Enrollment, Transfer Credit Evaluation, Test Results, scroll to bottom of page (view all)
- Students- Check your Score in Next Steps, through a Math page, unoffical transcript, or Transfer Credit Report.
- TRANSFER CREDIT REPORT: Test scores where credit is not awarded appear as "NO RULE" or "REJECTED". They are still valid for one year.
- Schedule for Success Contact:
Academic Services Coordinator
NEW for Fall 2017:
- Some new test scores for Math 100AX, 100, 105, 109C/112, 120R.
- New course, Math 107 info sheet. Fall pilot, more seats in Spring 2018. PCAL/PPCL 30%, CALG/PCLG/MCLG 40% required.
- Can replace Math 109C/112 for the following majors: Care, Health, and Society, Communication (as prerequisite to SBS 200), Criminal Justice, Family Studies and Human Development, Information Science and Arts, Political Science, Psychology BA (not BS), Public Management and POlicy, Regional Development, Sociology, or majors that allow Math 105 (except some in the College of Education, consult advisor.) For Fall 2017, qualified students request to add through email@example.com .
- Is a prerequisite to SBS 200 and ISTA 116 (note that stats courses are NOT prerequistie to lab sciences courses).
- Is NOT a prerequisite to Math courses or lab science courses like MCB 181L/R, PHYS 102, CHEM 151.
- Spring 2018 (or for fall 2017 incoming students) Math 111+112 is no a pathway to Math 122A/B. Students who place into Math 112 would then take Math 120R before taking Math 122A/B.
- Please direct students to firstname.lastname@example.org for transfer, test score, placement testing, registration, or other placement related questions. A team of staff help respond to these inquiries.
- Incoming students should be directed to their Next Steps Center. There are special math links there that are specific to the incoming student groups.
Old news, but reminders:
- Changes to Math 111, Summer 2016- the test score is now higher than Math 112 (PCAL/PPCL 50-100, CALG/PCLG 65-100). This means students need a higher test score to take Math 111 and 112 at the same time.
- Note that UA Math 111 is a 2 unit course and cannot satisfy a foundation math requirement. A transfer 3-unit Math 111 course can satisfy Mstrand (Math 109C/112) or Gstrand (Math 105) requirement. Contact email@example.com .
- Math 100AX and 100 will be a regular semester course in Fall 2016.
- We are no longer using ProctorU for placement testing starting Spring 2016. We hope to transition to Examity by April 1. Stay tuned for more information. Students always have the option of testing through the UA Testing Office.
- There are many out-of-state articulated courses in TES, available through the Office of the Registrar website. The math courses listed here are generally for courses that have been completed and are not online. Please direct student to the online evaluation form to pre-approve courses that have not yet been completed.
- We have several math requirement designators attached to transfer math courses that do not have a UA equivalent, but can satisfy a requirement.
- RD G105 is attached to a course that will satisfy UA Math 105
- RD M116 is usually attached to a course that transfers as Math 113 (not dual enrollment) and means the course will satisfy UA Math 116.
- RD M112 is attached to a course that will satisfy Math 112 requirement, but is not a prerequisite to other math or science courses.
- RD GSTA is attached to a low level statistics course that seems to have similar content to courses like UA Math 163, Psyc 230, SBS 200, but does not have a college algebra (Math 112) or higher level prerequisite. The course can satisfy the Gstrand math requirement (Math 105), or a major statistics requirement (Math 163, Psyc 230, SBS 200), but NOT BOTH. GSTA courses cannot satisfy a Mstrand foundation math (Math 112) requirement.
- Change to Math 112, Fall 2015
- Math 112 sections are now hybrid. It is a 3 until course with 2 units of in-person class meeting, and 1 until online. At this time, the online component is not at any scheduled time. All exams are common, departmental exams.
- Pima no longer has a precalculus course. It is now split into two courses: MAT 188 (transfers as UA Math 112) and MAT 189 (transfers as UA Math 111).
- LING 123 is a new Gstrand foundation math course. Majors that allow PHIL 110 for the foundation math course will also allow LING 123. There is no placement test requirement for this course.
- Around June 1 of every year, we allow student to enroll in Fall Math 129, 223, or 254 if the student is enrolled in the prerequisite outside UA over summer. Students can add through UAccess. We check prerequisite and contact students who do not seem to meet the requirement starting in early August. We do not drop student until right before classes begin, but only after attempting to contact them several times.
- We do not add students to math courses other than honors Math 129 or 223. Please direct students to add through UAccess.
- Incoming students can find information about math transfer evaluation, review, retesting, find test scores and placement message, and other items through the Math Placement link in their Next Steps Center.