The University of Arizona

Individual Studies and 500-level courses

Independent Study or Directed Research

Students enrolling in Individual Studies courses (MATH 199, 199H, 293, 299, 299H, 392, 393, 399, 399H, 492, 493, 498, 498H, 499, or 499H) must complete and submit a proposal form describing the project they will be earning credit for.  The work must be mathematical in nature to receive MATH credit (for non-mathematical work, credit may be earned through the College of Letters, Arts, and Science).  The form is to be signed by the student, their project advisor, and their major (faculty) advisor. 

Forms are available at the Math Academic Office window, room 108 of the Math building.

500-Level Courses

Seniors who are doing well in their course work may enroll in 500-level courses for undergraduate credit or graduate credit, if approved by the instructor and the student's major advisor.  In addition, Juniors and Seniors in the Honors College may enroll in 500-level courses for undergraduate honors credit - see our honors page for more information.  Math majors who are interested in doing so should first speak to their math faculty advisor. 

 NOTE: Graduate credit is unlikely to be useful for undergraduate students.  There are very few circumstances where they will be of greater value than undergraduate credits for the same courses.

Please read the form carefully; keep in mind that courses taken for graduate credit do not count toward units or other requirements for the undergraduate degree.

Beginning in Summer 2015, a signature from the Graduate College is no longer required.  See the updated form linked below.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Course form


Department of Mathematics, The University of Arizona 617 N. Santa Rita Ave. P.O. Box 210089 Tucson, AZ 85721-0089 USA Voice: (520) 621-6892 Fax: (520) 621-8322 Contact Us © Copyright 2019 Arizona Board of Regents All rights reserved